On the last day of term, Friday 13 December 2013, I decided that I needed to do something out of the ordinary. So I started baking vegan flapjacks. The last time I had done this was about two years ago, when I was leaving my internship/placement at Jaguar Land Rover. I worked in the audio section of Infotainment, and our team had decided that we'd all try and bake something and bring it in to share with others. The first time I tried this was when I decided to try and be vegan for one week, which I successfully managed during my first year of university in 2008.
So, without further ado, here's the recipe:
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 250g soya margarine
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 5 tbsp light brown sugar
- 250g oats
- 1 tbsp cranberries
- 4 apricots
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- Melt soya margarine in a saucepan at low heat.
- Mix in golden syrup and light brown sugar until melted.
- Chop the apricots into small, fine chunks.
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190ºC, preparing a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add in the oats, stirring occasionally.
- Add in all fruits and seeds (cranberries, apricots, sultanas, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds) and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tray, spreading evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and cut the number of pieces according to your choice.
- Once cooled down, they can be stored in an airtight container, ready to enjoy!
|Baked on Friday 13 December 2013.|